Why Gutters Are Important
Having a gutter installation isn’t just for decorative ‘fluff’; it is a necessary home improvement. Most homeowners in New York will have a professional gutter installation, letting a contractor do the work. This gives you the benefit of a guarantee and warranty. A gutter installation isn’t as difficult as you may think, nor is it as easy as it looks. So, you may ask, “Should I hire someone to install gutters?”
While a gutter installation can be a DIY project for a homeowner, we can give you three reasons for hiring a professional contractor for your gutter installation:
- Safety: Realize how high up you’ll be while doing a gutter installation is the first thing to consider. A roof height can be scary, especially when you consider that you’ll have to handle equipment and materials while at that height.
- Equipment and Tools: A gutter installation requires specific equipment and tools for a gutter installation job to be done correctly. An experienced contractor will have what they need to do the job correctly and efficiently. A homeowner will need to prepare by buying items they will most likely never use again.
- Experience: The biggest reason of all! A professional contractor will have been through the necessary training and have acquired hours of experience on gutter installation. By hiring the job out, you will most likely not need to call any one to fix a mistake, but if you do, it will be part of the guarantee and warranty.
Is gutter installation expensive?
Well, it will depend on the type of gutters you have installed. An aluminum gutter installation with downspouts is the most common request. For a home of 2400 square feet, it can cost $20.00 per square foot for materials and labor. That can cost up to $3,000 per home. This doesn’t include any possible repairs your home may need to the fascia before the gutters can be installed.
Can I install gutters myself?
With the benefits we listed for having your gutter installation done by a professional in mind, the materials needed are available at any home improvement store for a do-it-yourself gutter installation job.
So, is it cheaper to install your own gutters?
Well, if you don’t have any accidents like broken windows, roofing materials, or emergency room visits, yes. A DIY gutter installation will save you around $1200 to $1500 for the labor costs. However, there is the extra expense of the equipment and tools needed for a gutter installation.
What is needed for gutter installation?
When doing your own gutter installation, remember you want to minimize joints, and make the seams strong while keeping them sleek-looking. You’ll need to make sure there is properly installed roof flashing so that the water keeps flowing off the roof and into the gutters. The tools you’ll need for a proper DIY gutter installation are:
- A cordless drill
- A pair of crimpers
- A pair of duckbill tin snips
- An extension ladder
- A hex head driver
- A pair of offset tin snips
- A pop rivet gun
- A safety belt, goggles, and work gloves
In addition to those tools, you’ll need the following materials for your gutter installation:
- Self-tapping hex head screws – 1- 1/4″
- Hex head screws – 1/4″
- Rivets – 1/8-inch medium length
- Gutter runs
- Hanging straps
- Gutter sealant
What are the best gutters to buy?
There are different configurations and materials to choose from for your gutter installation. It can be confusing, so we have listed three of the most common here for your consideration:
- Vinyl: The most popular choice today for gutter installation, especially for the DIY option. They are budget friendly, never rust, and because they are lightweight and just snap together, the DIY gutter installation is easy! One downside to vinyl gutters in the New York area is the cold weather often makes them brittle and easily cracked.
- Aluminum: The gutter installation material before vinyl came along and still popular today. Lightweight, makes DIY job easy and rust-proof makes them long lasting. This gutter material can stand up to cold temperatures and ca be painted to match the home’s architecture. They bend and dent easily and a downside to this material.
- Stainless Steel: The more durable option, but the more expensive gutter installation option too. A sturdy material that doesn’t rust, last as long as the house, making this a better investment.
How long does gutter installation take?
Most professional gutter installations average between one to four hours on an average-sized home. For DIY gutter installations, plan a full day for completion. If you decide to upgrade with gutter guards, you can have them installed professionally or do it yourself gutter guard installation is possible too.
You can purchase the gutter guards and any needed items at your local home improvement store. They are basic, simply slide them over the top of the gutter run after the gutter installation is complete.
It’s A Wrap!
Gutter installation can be done in a seamless manner today too. However, that requires a contractor that has the machine mounted on a truck. The gutters are made as they are installed, giving you a seamless gutter installation. They’re a little more expensive, but there are fewer places where the gutters can leak or weaken.