Understanding and Maintaining Your Roof
Under no circumstance does a homeowner want to find a roof leak in their home. These are often damaging and costly services that will require time and energy that you may not have. What’s worse is that trying to find where a leak is originating can be one of the more challenging aspects of the whole process. The most common area for leaks is around joints or where flashing would be. If you are in need of roof flashing repair in Long Island and Farmingdale, NY, dial (516) 986-3979 to connect with the pros at All American Home Improvement Inc.
What is Roof Flashing?
Roof flashing is a piece of thin aluminum or galvanized steel that is often installed under most roofing materials. The purpose of this sheet of metal is to help direct rainwater away from your roof and your home so certain areas don’t become overly saturated with water. A rule of thumb is to install flashing anywhere there is a joint or where the roof meets a vertical plane. This would be around areas such as the chimney, skylights, vents, as well as where the roof meets a wall. Now, the flashing on your roof can become damaged over time. It is metal, which means that it can, and usually does, rust or corrode. Roof and flashing repairs don’t have to happen at the same time, especially if your roof is still in relatively good condition. There are several things to look for if you are concerned about the flashing on your property. What is roof flashing repair? It’s pretty much exactly what you think it would be. It’s the process of repairing or replacing the flashing on your roof so it operates efficiently and properly.
Signs You Need Roof Flashing Repair
Not all roof leaks are the same. Anyone that has experienced a roof leaking and needed roof flashing repair knows this. The best thing you can do to avoid costly repair or replacement services is investing in regular inspections. During those appointments, contractors can take care of any roof flashing repair need before things get bad.
- Rust or Corrosion: As mentioned, most flashing is made from aluminum or galvanized steel. While these are both highly durable materials, they are subject to rust or corrosion over time. This will weaken the material, causing it to deteriorate, buckle, and become less effective at directing water.
- Visible Holes or Gaps: Whether it’s because of rust, corrosion or some other factor, if there are holes in your flashing, you’re going to have a problem. In some cases, the material may lift up or be removed partially from the roofing structure. All it takes is one gap to allow water in and begin the deterioration process.
- Dents: If a major storm has blown through, every aspect of your roof can be affected. Hail is the number one enemy for roofing because of just how much damage it can inflict and that includes your flashing. Hail can severely dent the flashing, causing it to bend, buckle, or lift away from the roof.
- Leaks: And of course, the fastest way to determine if you have damaged roof flashing is by finding a leak. It’s the most unfortunate way to figure this out, but a leak can help you find the source of the problem. Once you know that, you can take the necessary steps to make the repair or replacements to correct it.
Finding a leak or roof damage is never an ideal situation to be in. Roofing services can get pricey and flashing repairs are no different. Total roof flashing repair can cost upwards of $500, not including any roof decking, chimney, or other repair service that needs to be completed. We understand that it can be overwhelming to figure all of that out. That’s why when you need any kind of roofing service, rely on All American Home Improvement Inc for assistance. Our contractors can easily find any potential damage or problem then address it with accuracy and efficiency.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to repair flashing on a roof?
- On average, homeowners should budget for about $300 and $500 for flashing repairs. The total amount will vary if you need additional repair services for your roof, chimney or other areas where flashing may be.
- Is roof flashing necessary?
- Flashing is incredibly important to your roof for a number of reasons. This will help direct water away from your roof so it doesn’t collect or pond in troublesome areas. So the short answer is, yes, roof flashing is incredibly important for your roof.
- What does roof flashing look like?
- As mentioned, flashing is just thin sheets of metal, usually aluminum or galvanized steel. They are typically longer than they are wide because they are primarily used around roofing and wall joints.
- How long should roof flashing last?
- Flashing needs to be able to last about the same length of time or longer as your roof itself. This means it needs to be able to last upwards of 20 years or longer. However, because of how often flashing comes in contact with water, it can corrode and degrade sooner than that, so you may get about 15 years total.
Connect With Our Team Now for an Appointment
Dial __PHONE__ to schedule an appointment for roof flashing repair in Long Island and Farmingdale, NY with the experts at All American Home Improvement Inc. We are here to help you, so give us a call today!